Cyclingnews News Headlines

Sunday, January 07, 2007

January 7 Ride

OK, here goes.
Like Peter, I like this format too. It's better than the original A-Team site that Mike built a year or so ago.
Sunday's ride was great. Rode to 1st Place Sports because my faithful 11 year-old Honda would not start this morning. It started when I needed to back the car out of the garage, but once it was loaded with the bike and gear, well, it decided not to crank at all.
On the way to 1st Place Sports I saw cycling icon Mike Hannigan going in the opposite direction. I took that as a good sign. I pulled in as the group was leaving.
A few guys did their pull, including cycling icon Mike M. Then Bob, Grace's BF, took the helm. He never got off the front. I was riding behind him expecting him to peel off any minute, especially after his first half hour. But he never did. Normally, I would not mind. But Bob is not built like Harmon. The guy provided no shelter from the wind. I felt like I was pulling. It was brutal.
So Bob lead us to the only rest stop on the ride: the Chevron station at 13 and 16. That's when someone mentioned that a rider had busted a spoke. When I didn't see Mike, the light bulb when on over my head.
It wasn't until I got home that I noticed that Mike M. had called and left a voice message stating that he'd busted a spoke and was going to limp back to the car. Sorry that I didn't see your mishap and missed your call Mike.
The car checked out OK at Sears. Turned out to be a loose terminal. Or so they say. If anyone gets a collect call from me in the middle of the night, guess what I'll be calling about?
Also took the bike to Bicycles Etc. for its annual check up. Paul was right; they are selling Scott bicycles now. One of the shop guys told me that Trek is planning on opening a concept store around Crown Point and San Jose. How 'bout that?
Oh yeah, I also filled out a profile for RAGBRAI. The registration is next. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I'm really pumped about the prospect. Look forward to some hard and heavy training as the months go by.
Well, so much for my first blog ever.
Wonder what's going to happen when I hit the Publish button?

No comments:

Post a Comment